Flat rice noodles have been popular in Canton and Fujian Provence in China, as well as Taiwan, Hong Kong and Southeast Asia like Vietnam, Singapore, Thailand and Malaysia thus these noodles have been called many different names such as Ban Tiao, Kui Tiao or Hor Fun.
In this recipe, I will show you how to make Taiwanese hakka style flat rice noodle or Ban Tiao. The main ingredient is the long grain rice. Noodles made out of 100% rice grain or rice flour are more fragile. To make it more flexible, I prefer adding either potato or tapioca flour because the noodles will not be easily broken apart. Since this noodle is made of rice grain with either potato or tapioca flour, it is also gluten free. Depending on your preference, you can also make these noodles wider, narrower, thicker or thinner and either use them to make stir fry rice noodles or noodle soups.
Many store bought fresh flat rice noodles have wheat flour in it so it’s not gluten free. If you have gluten allergy but love stir fry rice noodle dishes, this recipe is perfect for you.
- 1-1/2 cup long grain rice
- 2-1/3 cup water for soaking
- 4 tablespoons tapioca flour/potato starch/corn starch
- Metal or glass tray for steaming (I used 9” x 9” stainless steel baking tray)
- Steamer (I used a 14” wok)
- High speed blender
- Oil brush or oil sprayer
Step by Step Instruction:
- Wash 1-1/2 cup rice a couple of times and let dry. Make sure to shake off as much water as possible.
- Soak with 2-1/3 cup water over night.
- Grease the baking pan before pouring in the rice mixture. When the pan is ready, pour in ~1/2 cup of mixture. You want the thickness of the noodles to be about 1/16 to 1/8 inches thick.
- When the steamer is ready, place the baking pan in and steam it for about 3 minutes.
- Take out after 3 minutes, your mixture should look slightly translucent. Let it cool off and then spread another layer of oil on top before taking it off of the mold (I normally fold it in half).
- Cut flat rice noodles to about 5/8” and enjoy.
- You may use this noodle for stir fry noodle dishes or make noodle soup.